Thursday, January 26TRUSTED FEARLESS INTERNATIONAL & NATIONAL NEWS PORTAL

Tag: manchester united

Sports

Middle East money forcing Liverpool, Manchester United to seek new investment: Experts

Middle Eastern investment in European clubs and the collapse of a planned Super League are the main driving factors behind two of England’s most storied football teams, Liverpool and Manchester United, seeking new investors, industry experts have told Reuters. United’s owners, the American Glazer family, began looking at new investment or a potential sale last year, with British billionaire Jim Ratcliffe’s company INEOS entering the bidding process. Liverpool’s owners Fenway Sports Group also said they would “consider new shareholders”, with the Anfield club struggling to qualify for the lucrative Champions League next season. United and Liverpool are the two most successful teams in English football but have won only one league title each in the past decade. Lisa Neirotti, the Director...
Sports

Marcus Rashford stars as Manchester United come back to beat Manchester City 2-1 in dramatic EPL derby | Football News – Times of India

MANCHESTER (England): In-form Marcus Rashford scored a late winner as Manchester United came from behind to beat rivals Manchester City 2-1 on Saturday, a victory that moves them to within a point of the champions in the Premier League standings.The hosts had the best chances of a tense first half at Old Trafford, with in-form England forward Rashford seeing a tame effort blocked on the line by Manuel Akanji, while City struggled to get going.WHAT A COMEBACK! WHAT A WIN! 😍#MUFC || #MUNMCI— Manchester United (@ManUtd) 1673706290000City were much improved after the break, and the pressure told as Jack Grealish stepped off the bench to head his side into the lead in the 61st minute, on the end of a superb cross from the ever-reliable assist-maker Kevin De Bruyne.However, with United lookin...
Sports

Man United complete loan signing of Wout Weghorst | Football News – Times of India

MANCHESTER: Manchester United completed the loan signing of Dutch international Wout Weghorst for the rest of the season on Friday to bolster Erik ten Hag's forward options.The 30-year-old had been on loan at Besiktas from Burnley, but the Turkish giants announced they had received 2.8 million euros ($3 million, £2.5 million) to cut that deal short.United have been short of strikers since Cristiano Ronaldo's contract at Old Trafford was terminated in November.Weghorst joined Burnley from Wolfsburg for £12 million in January 2022 but scored just two Premier League goals as the Clarets were relegated last season.However, he struck nine times in 18 games for Besiktas and scored twice for the Netherlands in a thrilling World Cup quarter-final against eventual champions Argentina last month....
Sports

Al-Nassr coach wants Ronaldo to ‘rediscover pleasure of playing’ | Football News – Times of India

RIYADH: Al-Nassr coach Rudi Garcia hopes that Cristiano Ronaldo will "rediscover the pleasure of playing" when he brings a little stardust to the Saudi Arabian league."The only thing I wish for Ronaldo is that he rediscovers the pleasure of playing and smiles again because in recent months between Manchester United, the national team and then at a personal level he hasn't had easy moments," Garcia said Sunday on the sidelines of the Dakar Rally being staged in the kingdom."If he finds the pleasure of playing again, that will already be a goal achieved," added the coach who described the 37-year-old Portuguese international as a "tremendous athlete".Ronaldo, a five-time Ballon d'Or winner, has penned a contract until 2025 with the Saudi club in a deal worth a reported 200 million euros.T...
Sports

Manchester United’s Antony attributes his dip in form due to ‘personal issue’

Manchester United forward Antony revealed in an interview after United’s victory over Everton in a FA Cup tie on Friday that he had been dealing with some personal issue, which lead to him being absent from the matchday squad against Bournemouth during the midweek. The Brazilian, who had scored his side’s opening goal in the 3-1 win over Everton, said to TNT Sports, “”First of all, it’s a feeling of joy. I’m happy to score again, especially at home. I’ve set some goals for me this season and it’s good to score as soon as I’ve started to think of personal goals. But, of course, the most important is United’s qualification to the next stage.” “I also feel relieved as in the last days I had a shock, but I prefer not to comment on what happened. It was a personal matter, really hard, but I’...
Sports

Marcus Rashford stars as Manchester United beat Everton in FA Cup | Football News – Times of India

MANCHESTER: Marcus Rashford scored for the fifth straight game as Manchester United beat Everton 3-1 in the FA Cup third round on Friday, heaping the pressure on beleaguered boss Frank Lampard.Everton travelled to Old Trafford in trepidation after slipping into the Premier League relegation zone this week following a chastening 4-1 home hammering at the hands of Brighton.They made the worst possible start, with Brazil forward Antony scoring in just the fourth minute but were level 10 minutes later after Conor Coady pounced on a howler from United goalkeeper David de Gea.However, the Everton defender put the ball in his own net early in the second half to hand the initiative back to the home side.Rashford increased United's lead in the dying seconds, scoring from the penalty spot to main...
Sports

Ronaldo must serve two-match ban before Al Nassr debut: Official | Football News – Times of India

RIYADH: Portuguese superstar Cristiano Ronaldo still needs to serve a two-match English Football Association ban before making his Al Nassr debut, an official at the Saudi club told AFP on Friday.Ronaldo was slapped with the ban in November for hitting a mobile phone out of a teenage fan's hand after Manchester United, his club at the time, lost to Everton."The ban is applicable after he is officially registered," one Al Nassr official, who did not want to be named because he was not authorised to speak to media, told AFP.Al Nassr has not yet registered Ronaldo because the Saudi club have exceeded their quota for foreign players.Ronaldo, whose deal is worth an estimated 200 million euros to June 2025, is Al Nassr's ninth foreign player -- one more than the eight allowed by Saudi footbal...
Sports

Under-pressure Lampard not seeking reassurances over future

Under-pressure Everton manager Frank Lampard said he did not discuss his future during conversations with the club’s hierarchy after a chastening loss to Brighton this week. There was a febrile atmosphere inside Goodison Park after Everton conceded three goals in seven second-half minutes to slump to a dispiriting 4-1 defeat on Tuesday. Lampard’s team has since dropped into the Premier League’s relegation zone and has won just one of its last 11 games in all competitions. Speaking Thursday ahead of an FA Cup match against Manchester United on Friday, Lampard said the nature of conversations he had with the club’s hierarchy after the Brighton game would remain private. But he said he did not need to ask about his own position despite the perhaps itchy finger of club owner Farhad Moshiri,...
Sports

Cristiano Ronaldo’s Al Nassr debut on hold over foreign players quota | Football News – Times of India

NEW DELHI: Portuguese superstar Cristiano Ronaldo will have to wait a little longer to make his Al Nassr debut and the reason behind is quite technical as the Saudi club has exceeded their quota for foreign players, according to the club sources.Ronaldo, who was unveiled with great fanfare in Riyadh on Tuesday, said he was keen to play as soon as possible, starting with Thursday's home game against Al Ta'ee.But Ronaldo is Al Nassr's ninth foreign player -- one more than the eight allowed by Saudi football authorities.Ronaldo, whose deal is worth an estimated 200 million euros to June 2025, faces another dilemma as to whether he still needed to serve a two-match English Football Association ban from November for hitting a mobile phone out of a teenage fan's hand after Manchester United, ...
Sports

The Man United-time ban that will stop Cristiano Ronaldo from debuting for Al Nassr till Jan 21

Cristiano Ronaldo will have to wait until January 21 before he can make his debut for Al Nassr, his new team in Saudi Arabia. While it was anticipated that he will start in the Saudi Pro League against Al Ta’ee on Thursday, with 28,000 fans buying tickets, Marca reported that they will have to wait. Ronaldo’s painfully protracted parting from Manchester United has one last chapter to be played out, with the Old Trafford snap casting one more shadow. Ronaldo is currently serving suspension because of the time he smashed an Everton fan’s phone out of their hand whilst leaving the pitch at Goodison Park in November, quotes Marca. “He has a two-match ban to serve and even though it was handed to him by the English Football Association, it still transfers with him to Saudi Arabia. In ac...
Sports

‘Unique’ Cristiano Ronaldo says he wants to break records in Saudi stint | Football News – Times of India

RIYADH: Cristiano Ronaldo described himself as a "unique player" and insisted his career was not over as he arrived at his new club Al Nassr in Saudi Arabia on Tuesday.The Portuguese forward, 37, has signed a huge deal estimated at 200 million euros ($211m) after glittering spells at Manchester United, Real Madrid and Juventus.Ball’s signed by the greatest ⚽️🔥What a lucky one 😂💛 https://t.co/uqVDxXdRPU— AlNassr FC (@AlNassrFC_EN) 1672768066000"I'm a unique player. It's good to come here, I broke all the records there (in Europe) and I want to break a few records here," Ronaldo told media at Al Nassr's Mrsool Park stadium."I'm coming here to win, to play, to enjoy, to be part of the success of the country and culture of the country," he added.Walks of the greatness 🐐💛 https://t.co/7FzLZS...
Sports

‘Historic moment’: Saudis flock to buy Ronaldo shirts after Al Nassr deal | Football News – Times of India

RIYADH: Only hours after Cristiano Ronaldo penned a two-year contract with Saudi Arabia's Al Nassr, crowds flocked to a football kit store in Riyadh to buy the five-time Ballon d'Or winner's new club jersey.Abdulmohsen al-Ayyban, 41, and his nine-year old son, Nayef, were among those queueing at Al Nassr club's official kit store on Saturday where clerks where busy pressing Ronaldo's name onto t-shirts."We are witnessing a historic moment," al-Ayyban told AFP of the deal which he believes "will elevate the Saudi football league".Ronaldo on Friday signed for Al Nassr until June 2025 in a deal believed to be worth more than 200 million euros.A wide smile stretched across Nayef's face as he proudly held his new jersey aloft.For the young Saudi, a dream has come true."I have always wanted A...
Sports

I overslept: Marcus Rashford reveals reason he was dropped against Wolves

Manchester United forward was dropped on the bench by manager Erik Ten Hag citing because of “internal disciplinary” reasons when the Red Devils lined up to take on Wolverhampton Wanderers on Saturday. Rashford would ultimately come on for the second half to give United more cutting edge in attack, showing great strength and composure to hold off his marker and fire the winner 14 minutes from time. After the match, the striker was asked why he was left out of the squad to which he replied that he had missed the start of a team meeting because he had overslept. "I overslept and I was late for a meeting" 😅 Marcus Rashford reveals the reason he was benched by his manager Erik Ten Hag…💬 🎙️ @TheDesKelly pic.twitter.com/jD3aSFG6Nx — Football on BT Sport (@btsportfootball) December 31, 2022 “...
Sports

EPL: Rashford steps off the bench to earn Man United win at Wolves | Football News – Times of India

WOLVERHAMPTON: In-form Marcus Rashford stepped off the bench to earn Manchester United a 1-0 victory over Wolverhampton Wanderers on Saturday, a win that moved Erik ten Hag's side into the Premier League top four.Ten Hag left the club's top goalscorer on the bench from the start due to an "internal disciplinary issue", and saw his team struggle to break down Wolves in the opening period, youngster Alejandro Garnacho wasting the visitors' best chance.As it happened: Wolves vs Man UnitedRashford came on for the second half to give United more cutting edge in attack, showing great strength and composure to hold off his marker and fire the winner 14 minutes from time.The England forward had another ruled out for handball late on, but it mattered little as United saw out their third league w...
Sports

Man Utd defender Lisandro Martinez back in training after World Cup win

Manchester United centre back Lisandro Martinez returned to training on Wednesday after winning the World Cup with Argentina in Qatar, the Premier League club said. Martinez was granted some time off by United after Argentina won the World Cup by beating France in the Dec. 18 final on penalties. The 24-year-old made four appearances for Lionel Scaloni’s side in Qatar, including during knockout-stage victories against Australia, the Netherlands and Croatia. 🇦🇷 Back in the mix. Welcome home, @LisandrMartinez 👊#MUFC — Manchester United (@ManUtd) December 28, 2022 United are fifth in the league on 29 points after 15 matches, one point behind fourth-placed Tottenham Hotspur who have played a game more. The Old Trafford club will play at Wolverhampton Wanderers on Saturday. !function(f,...
Sports

‘I accept the pressure’ – Erik ten Hag wary that Manchester United spending must bring results | Football News – Times of India

MANCHESTER: Manchester United coach Erik ten Hag said he is aware that his club's excessive spending in the close season transfer window means there is pressure to secure a top-four finish this term.United spent more than 200 million pounds ($240.92 million) to bring in Brazilian duo Antony and Casemiro from Ajax Amsterdam and Real Madrid respectively, Argentine World Cup winner Lisandro Martinez and Dutch full back Tyrell Malacia ahead of the current campaign.Ten Hag, who took over as coach from Ralf Rangnick in April, has revamped a squad looking to turn things around after their worst-ever Premier League points haul last term. United are fifth in the current standings, three points off the top four."I accept how it is, I accept that pressure," Ten Hag told a news conference. "But als...
Sports

‘I accept the pressure’: Ten Hag wary than Man United spending must bring results

Manchester United coach Erik ten Hag said he is aware that his club’s excessive spending in the close season transfer window means there is pressure to secure a top-four finish this term. United spent more than 200 million pounds ($240.92 million) to bring in Brazilian duo Antony and Casemiro from Ajax Amsterdam and Real Madrid respectively, Argentine World Cup winner Lisandro Martinez and Dutch full back Tyrell Malacia ahead of the current campaign. Ten Hag, who took over as coach from Ralf Rangnick in April, has revamped a squad looking to turn things around after their worst-ever Premier League points haul last term. United are fifth in the current standings, three points off the top four. “I accept how it is, I accept that pressure,” Ten Hag told a news conference. “But also for the...
Sports

Sale of Manchester United could be ‘good thing’: Erik ten Hag | Football News – Times of India

Manager Erik ten Hag said the Glazer family's decision to explore a sale of Manchester United could be a good thing and that he has been reassured any change in ownership would not impact the "objectives, goals and culture" of the club. United's U.S. owners last month began looking at options for the 20-times English champions, including new investment or a potential sale, 17 years after buying the club. The club's fans have been clamouring for a change of ownership and the Glazers have been the target of intense criticism as the team, which has a record 13 Premier League titles, have gone five years without winning a trophy. Ten Hag said he had not spoken with the owners but had instead discussed the plans with United CEO Richard Arnold. "My information is that it will only be good thi...
Sports

Ronaldo in sharp focus ahead of Portugal match against Switzerland | Football News – Times of India

AL RAYYAN (Qatar): Speculation regarding the future of Portugal's Cristiano Ronaldo and his outburst following his substitution against South Korea were in sharp focus on Monday ahead of their World Cup last-16 game against Switzerland. The forward, who left Manchester United by mutual consent last month following a controversial interview, was linked with a potential move to Saudi Arabia but Portugal coach Fernando Santos said he knew nothing about it. "I have not spoken to him about this," Santos told a news conference ahead of Tuesday's game against the Swiss. "I don't know about this. It is his decision. I did not even know about this and I heard about this when I arrived here." Ronaldo's future is unclear with several clubs around the world reportedly interested in signing him. "We...
Sports

Who could buy Manchester United and how much is it worth?

Manchester United’s owners, the Glazer family, are considering selling the club as they explore “strategic alternatives”. If the Glazers decided to follow through with the sale of the Old Trafford club, here could be some of the possible buyers: JIM RATCLIFFE British billionaire Ratcliffe, a long-standing fan of the 20-times English champions, declared his interest in August but said two months later he was told by the Glazers the Premier League side was not for sale when he contacted the family. He had also failed this year in an attempt to buy London club Chelsea, ultimately bought by an investment group led by American Todd Boehly and Clearlake Capital. Ratcliffe’s name was widely mentioned among United fans as someone many would welcome, although there are fears he might be priced o...