Wednesday, January 25TRUSTED FEARLESS INTERNATIONAL & NATIONAL NEWS PORTAL

Tag: england and wales cricket board

Sports

England recall Jofra Archer for South Africa ODIs | Cricket News – Times of India

LONDON: Jofra Archer was recalled by England for the first time in over a year after being named on Thursday in a 14-strong squad for an upcoming three-match one-day international series in South Africa.Sussex fast bowler Archer was one of the stars of England's 2019 50-over World Cup triumph but his career has since been blighted by elbow and back injuries.The 27-year-old Barbados-born quick last played for England in a Twenty20 international against India at Ahmedabad in March 2021, but it is more than two years since the most recent of his 13 ODIs.But having missed the whole of the 2022 English season through injury, Archer played for the second-string England Lions in a warm-up match against the Test side in Abu Dhabi last month ahead of their 3-0 whitewash of Pakistan.Just six ball...
Sports

England hand Ben Foakes, Liam Livingstone first central contracts | Cricket News – Times of India

LONDON: England wicketkeeper Ben Foakes and batsman Liam Livingstone have been given annual central contracts while Dawid Malan and Jason Roy have dropped from full deals to increment ones, the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) said on Tuesday. The board also announced increment contracts for Harry Brook, Matthew Potts, Reece Topley and David Willey in its 30-man overall list, which has players set to feature in red-ball and white-ball matches during the next 12 months. The increment contracts recognise players who may feature for England on a less predictable basis. Brydon Carse, Matthew Fisher and Jamie Overton were handed pace bowling development contracts for the first time, joining Saqib Mahmood, Craig Overton and Olly Stone. These contracts support developing and managing high...
Sports

Dawid Malan backs Andrew Strauss review, Geoffrey Boycott fears ‘death of county cricket’ | Cricket News – Times of India

LONDON: England batsman Dawid Malan has backed proposals to reduce the number of County Championship matches but former Test batsman Geoffrey Boycott fears any such move would mean the "death of county cricket." Former captain Andrew Strauss last week presented a High-Performance Review commissioned by the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) after the team's Ashes debacle in January. The proposals, which include a 15% reduction in men's domestic cricket, have polarised opinion, with several counties deciding to oppose their introduction for the 2024 season. "Cricket is now a 12-months-a-year game," Malan told reporters in Lahore ahead of the sixth Twenty20 International against Pakistan. "It's about creating a schedule that keeps players wanting to play all formats." "If you're a play...
Sports

England ‘offers’ to be neutral venue for India-Pakistan Test series, BCCI ‘not interested’ | Cricket News – Times of India

LONDON: England and Wales Cricket Board has informally offered to be the hosts if India and Pakistan plan to play a bilateral Test series but BCCI sources said chances of that happening in near future is "next to nil". The UK daily 'Telegraph' reported that "Martin Darlow, the deputy chairman of the England and Wales Cricket Board, has held talks with the Pakistan Cricket Board during the current Twenty20 series and offered England's grounds as venues for ideally a three-match Test series in future." While the ECB has made the offer for its own commercial gains, the powers that be in the BCCI laughed off the suggestions and said that no such possibilities might arise at least in the next few years. "Firstly, ECB spoke to PCB about an Indo-Pak series and that's a bit weird. In any case, ...
Sports

Andrew Strauss says ‘status quo’ no option as he unveils English cricket reform plan | Cricket News – Times of India

LONDON: Andrew Strauss has insisted "the status quo is not an option" as he called on county chiefs to back his reform plan for English cricket which includes cutting the number of first-class Championship matches. Former England captain Strauss has spent the last six months overseeing a high performance review for the England and Wales Cricket Board, launched following the men's Test team's humiliating 2021/22 Ashes series loss in Australia. His panel have come up with 17 recommendations, 15 of which already have the required backing. But two of the most significant changes needed the support of at least 12 of the 18 first-class counties. Strauss is adamant a reduction from 14 Championship matches per team to 10 is needed. His panel are also urging the adoption of a six-team top divisi...
Sports

Third Test between England and South Africa to resume on Saturday | Cricket News – Times of India

LONDON: England's third and deciding Test against South Africa at The Oval will resume on Saturday after the second day was postponed on Friday following the death of Queen Elizabeth. "Cricket will resume on Saturday to pay tribute to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and honour her remarkable life and service," the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) said. Cricket to Resume and Pay Tribute to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II https://t.co/UuHn6BIemT— England Cricket (@englandcricket) 1662728313000The opening day was washed out by rain on Thursday and there will be no extra day tagged on, meaning that the series decider is effectively now a three-day Test. "We have been in discussions with Cricket South Africa but they have to fly home on Tuesday to spend a few days at home before heading t...
Sports

Alex Hales called up by England for T20 World Cup after three-year absence | Cricket News – Times of India

England batsman Alex Hales is set to return to the national team after three years after the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) on Wednesday named him in their squad for next month's Twenty20 World Cup in Australia. Hales last played for England in March 2019 after the 33-year-old was withdrawn from the preliminary 50-overs World Cup squad that year after the Guardian newspaper reported he was serving a three-week ban for recreational drug use. He joins the England T20 World Cup squad as a replacement for Jonny Bairstow, who was ruled out of the tournament due to an injury. Former champions England begin their World Cup campaign against Afghanistan on October 22 in Perth. !(function(f, b, e, v, n, t, s) { window.TimesApps = window.TimesApps || {}; ...
Sports

England’s Jonny Bairstow ruled out of T20 World Cup through injury | Cricket News – Times of India

LONDON: England batsman Jonny Bairstow was ruled out of the Twenty20 World Cup due to an injury, while out-of-form opener Jason Roy was dropped from the squad for the tournament in Australia beginning next month. Bairstow was initially included in the selection but the England and Wales Cricket Board later said he had been ruled out of the rest of the summer and the T20 World Cup after suffering a lower limb injury in a freak accident while playing golf in Leeds on Friday. Bairstow said in a post on Instagram that he was injured after slipping on the golf course and that he would need to undergo an operation. Roy has been an integral part of England's white-ball squad and his explosive batting at the top of the order embodied the team's aggressive approach as they won their maiden 50-ov...
Sports

England to tour Pakistan in September for T20s and Tests | Cricket News – Times of India

LAHORE: England will tour Pakistan in September for the first time in 17 years to play seven Twenty20 and three Test matches in two spells, the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) announced on Tuesday. England pulled out of their Pakistan tour last year soon after New Zealand had abandoned their tour of the South Asian country over security concerns. Beginning on Sept. 20, England will play seven T20s in Karachi and Lahore in the first leg of their tour. After the T20 World Cup in Australia, England will return to play the Tests in December, the PCB said in a statement, adding that the schedule of these matches would be shared later. "We demonstrated our event planning and operational skills in the highly successful series against Australia in March/April and I am confident we will be able to ...
Sports

Five-member ECB security team to visit Pakistan ahead of bilateral series | Cricket News – Times of India

KARACHI: A five-member security team of the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) will visit Pakistan on July 17 to inspect arrangements and potential venues ahead of England's tour to the country. The England Cricket Team are scheduled to tour Pakistan for the first time since 2015 when they play a 7-match T20I series and three Tests in September or October. "The delegation which includes two cricket operations officials, two security experts and a representative of their professional cricketers association will be visiting Lahore, Karachi, Multan and Rawalpindi," a senior Pakistan Cricket Board official told PTI. The official said that the visit by the recce team is part of the routine inspection tour. "The delegation will visit the venues, team hotels and also meet with security offi...
Sports

Robert Key pleased how quickly England’s new Test approach clicked | Cricket News – Times of India

LONDON: England men's director of cricket Rob Key does not like the term "Bazball" but is surprised how quickly the Test team's new approach has clicked under coach Brendon McCullum and captain Ben Stokes. England had won only one of their previous 17 Tests when the new leadership, including Key himself, was put in charge to script a turnaround. England have since blanked world Test champions New Zealand 3-0 and beat India in Edgbaston, particularly impressive was how they chased down 270-plus targets in all four matches. "I never thought it would work like this," Key told BBC Test Match Special. "There will be times when it won't work, but for now it's been fantastic to see." Key, however, felt the term 'Bazball' did not do justice to the hard work put in by McCullum and Stokes. "I'm n...