Tuesday, July 5TRUSTED FEARLESS INTERNATIONAL & NATIONAL NEWS PORTAL

Tag: coronavirus

Uncategorized

COVID vaccines work well for people of all body weights – but underweight and obesity remain risk factors for severe disease

Since the pandemic began, more than 6 million people have died from COVID around the world. The good news is that we now have a wide range of treatments as well as highly effective vaccines which have helped reduce the number of severe COVID cases. Buy Now | Our best subscription plan now has a special price Still, some people are more likely to get very sick or die from COVID than others. Our research, carried out before vaccines became available, showed that obesity is one of the factors that increases a person’s risk of being hospitalised or dying from COVID. We have now followed this up with a new study looking at how body weight affects the uptake and effectiveness of COVID vaccines, and discovered that being underweight can also be a risk factor for severe disease. Obesity is mea...
Sports

Cilic pulls out of Wimbledon after testing positive for COVID-19

Former finalist Marin Cilic has pulled out of Wimbledon after testing positive for COVID-19, the Croatian said on Monday. The 33-year-old Cilic, who won the U.S. Open in 2014, reached the final of the grasscourt Grand Slam five years ago when he lost to Roger Federer. “Hey guys, I am sad to share that I tested positive for COVID,” he said on his Instagram account, adding that he was “heartbroken” to see his season on grass end due to illness. “I have been self-isolating and was hopeful I would be ready but unfortunately I am still feeling unwell and unable to compete at my best.” Cilic, who had been seeded 14th, came to Wimbledon in strong form, having reached the semi-finals at the French Open and also making the last four of the ATP 500 tournament on grass at Queen’s this month. He...
Sports

Shakib tests positive for COVID-19, to miss first Test against SL

Star Bangladesh all-rounder Shakib Al Hasan on Tuesday tested positive for COVID-19, ruling him out of the first Test against Sri Lanka beginning on May 15 in Chattogram. Shakib tested positive in a PCR and a rapid antigen test, pre-requisites for joining the team, according to ESPNCricinfo. Shakib was supposed to join the Bangladesh Test squad on Wednesday, two days after the players started training in Chattogram on Monday. According to a Bangladesh Cricket Board press release quoted by the cricket website, he will now recover in self-isolation and will be re-tested in due course. The second and final Test will be played at Mirpur from May 23. Shakib’s unavailability is a major blow to the home side who are already without Mehidy Hasan Miraz and Taskin Ahmed, who weren’t picked up in ...
Sports

Madrid’s Ancelotti likely to miss Chelsea game with Covid-19

Real Madrid will likely be without coach Carlo Ancelotti for the first leg of the Champions League quarterfinals against Chelsea because of COVID-19. Ancelotti tested positive for the coronavirus last week and did not travel to London with the rest of the squad on Tuesday. There was a possibility he could still make it for Wednesday’s match if he tests negative in time to travel. Ancelotti had already missed the team’s 2-1 win over Celta Vigo in the Spanish league on Saturday, when assistant coach Davide Ancelotti, his son, was among those in charge. Ancelotti, who had minor symptoms of COVID-19, is trying to win his second Champions League with Madrid after helping the club lift the European trophy in 2014. Karim Benzema and Ferland Mendy, who returned to action on Saturday after n...
Sports

Coach Justin Langer refuses “morally inappropriate” bonus due to CA’s massive COVID job cuts

Australia’s T20 World Cup and multiple Ashes winning coach Justin Langer has refused a handsome bonus offered by his cricket board as he found it “morally inappropriate” to accept it at a time when the organization witnessed massive job cuts due to COVID-19. “Australian cricket coach Justin Langer secretly knocked back a six figure sum in bonuses because he felt it would be morally inappropriate amid Covid job cuts,” eminent cricket writers Robert Craddock and Peter Lalor reported for the Australian newspaper ‘The Daily Telegraph’. “It is understood Langer privately informed his bosses he could not, in all good conscience, accept bonus payments while other staff members had been made redundant. Neither side has made the matter public,” the report further stated. Cricket Australia had se...
Sports

We are planning to hold Ranji Trophy in two phases: BCCI treasurer Dhumal

BCCI treasurer Arun Dhumal on Thursday said that the board intends to hold the Ranji Trophy in “two phases” after they were forced to postpone the premier first-class competition due to rising cases of COVID-19 in the country. The Ranji Trophy comprising 38-first-class teams was scheduled to start on January 13 but was postponed indefinitely due to the third wave of COVID-19. With the BCCI planning to start the IPL from March 27, it is practically impossible to hold the tournament in one go but after requests from many state units, the brass held a meeting to discuss the way forward. “We are exploring the possibility of staging Ranji Trophy, cases were going up when it was postponed, now they seem to be coming down. The operations team is working on whether we can do the league stag...
Premier League reports fall in COVID-19 cases | Football News – Times of India
Sports

Premier League reports fall in COVID-19 cases | Football News – Times of India

The Premier League said on Monday it had found 94 new positive COVID-19 cases among players and staff in the last week, the first week-by-week decrease in positive results for eight weeks. "(We) can today confirm that between Monday 27 December 2021 and Sunday 2 January 2022, 14,250 COVID-19 tests were administered on players and club staff. Of these, there were 94 new positive cases (0.65%)," the league said in a statement. The figure had been steadily rising in recent weeks with 90 testing positive between December 13-19 and a record 103 cases between December 20-26. Eighteen games have been postponed since last month due to COVID-19 outbreaks and injuries at various clubs, while teams have often been forced to field weakened line-ups. Liverpool manager Juergen Klopp as well as Alisso...
Blow for Bengal’s Ranji Trophy preparations as 7 members test positive for COVID-19 | Cricket News – Times of India
Sports

Blow for Bengal’s Ranji Trophy preparations as 7 members test positive for COVID-19 | Cricket News – Times of India

KOLKATA: Seven members of the Bengal Ranji Trophy team have tested positive for COVID-19, throwing their preparation in disarray, days before they start their campaign in the premier domestic tournament. Placed in Group B, along with Vidarbha, Rajasthan, Kerala, Haryana and Tripura, Bengal are slated to kick off their campaign against Tripura in Bengaluru from January 13. "Keeping in mind the current pandemic situation, the Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB) had conducted RTPCR Tests of all Bengal cricketers as a safety measure," CAB secretary Snehasish Ganguly said in a statement late on Sunday evening. "The results have come out and it has been found that certain players had tested positive. The CAB is taking all necessary precautions and actions in this regard." According to sources...
BCCI begins clearing dues of affected players after domestic season was curtailed due to Covid
Sports

BCCI begins clearing dues of affected players after domestic season was curtailed due to Covid

The BCCI has started clearing the long-standing dues of the domestic cricketers who suffered financially after the 2020-21 season was curtailed due to COVID-19 pandemic. Many Indian cricketers struggled financially after the Ranji Trophy was not held last year for the first time in its history. The women’s T20 games were also curtailed due to the pandemic. “BCCI has started clearing the compensation amount due for not having the red ball tournament last season,” a senior BCCI official told PTI. “A lot of players have started receiving money and there are still lot of players who would be getting the payments. The process is expected to be completed in next few weeks.” In September last, the BCCI had said that the cricketers who participated in the 2019-20 season will be...
Mumbai Cricket Association cancels all its tournaments due to rising Covid-19 cases in city | Cricket News – Times of India
Sports

Mumbai Cricket Association cancels all its tournaments due to rising Covid-19 cases in city | Cricket News – Times of India

MUMBAI: The Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA) on Saturday decided to postpone all its local cricket tournaments due to the rising number of Covid-19 cases in the city. "Due to increasing COVID-19 cases in Mumbai, Kanga & Tournament Committee decided to postpone all MCA tournaments, including the U-25 Shalini Bhalekar and Madhav Mantri E, F & G Div matches till further notice. Kindly make a note of the same,” stated MCA secretary Sanjay Naik and Jt. Secretary Shahalam Shaikh on the website. Mumbai has seen a steep jump in Covid-19 cases, with the number being 6,347 positive cases on Saturday. This has resulted in the government imposing several restrictions in the past few days. On Thursday, the BCCI had announced that it was postponing the Vijay Merchant Under-16 Trophy due to ri...
Sourav Ganguly had tested positive for delta plus variant of COVID-19: Hospital | Cricket News – Times of India
Sports

Sourav Ganguly had tested positive for delta plus variant of COVID-19: Hospital | Cricket News – Times of India

KOLKATA: BCCI president Sourav Ganguly had tested positive for the delta plus variant of COVID-19 but was discharged after four days of hospitalisation as the infection was not severe and could be managed in home isolation, a hospital official said on Saturday. Though the former India captain has not been infected with the Omicron variant, his samples taken two days back returned positive for the Delta plus variant of the COVID-19. "Ganguly's samples tested positive for the Delta plus variant. We are treating him for that," the official said. Ganguly, who was discharged on Friday after testing negative for the Omicron variant, will remain in home isolation for the next fortnight under doctors' supervision, he said. The 49-year-old was rushed to the Woodlands Multispeciality hospital on ...
Liverpool: Klopp in COVID isolation, absent for Chelsea game
Sports

Liverpool: Klopp in COVID isolation, absent for Chelsea game

Liverpool manager Jürgen Klopp will miss the Premier League match at Chelsea on Sunday after what the club called a suspected positive coronavirus test. Klopp has mild symptoms and is now isolating, Liverpool said Saturday. Assistant manager Pepijn Lijnders will be on the touchline leading the team at Stamford Bridge but three other members of the backroom staff have also reported suspected COVID-19 infections. Klopp announced Friday that three unnamed players had tested positive. Jürgen Klopp will miss our meeting with Chelsea on Sunday after returning a suspected positive COVID-19 test result. — Liverpool FC (@LFC) January 1, 2022 FRANCE Seven Monaco players have tested positive for the coronavirus, the club said Saturday on the eve of its French Cup game. The match at s...
Three Liverpool players test positive for COVID-19 before Chelsea trip: Klopp | Football News – Times of India
Sports

Three Liverpool players test positive for COVID-19 before Chelsea trip: Klopp | Football News – Times of India

Three Liverpool players and more staff members have tested positive for COVID-19 ahead of the trip to Chelsea but it is too soon to ask the Premier League to postpone the game, manager Juergen Klopp said on Friday. The league has postponed 18 games so far due to a mixture of COVID-19 outbreaks and injuries at several clubs, leaving them without enough players to fulfil fixtures. "We have three new COVID cases in the team and a few more in the staff, so it's not so cool at the moment," Klopp told reporters ahead of Sunday's game in London. "I'm not (able to reveal who tested positive) because we have to go through the whole process, PCR (tests), but you will see the day after tomorrow on the team sheet, it will be clear who is affected." When asked if Liverpool would have to ask for the ...
BCCI U-16 tournament postponed after virus surge
Sports

BCCI U-16 tournament postponed after virus surge

The U-16 Vijay Merchant Trophy has been postponed due to the recent surge in Covid-19 cases in India. In its email to all its affiliated units on Thursday, the Indian cricket board’s secretary Jay Shah, informed that domestic cricket had started off well, with the completion of 748 matches till date, however, the sudden spike in cases has forced the board to postpone its junior tournament. “The cases across lndia are spiralling and despite being a large number of adults doubly vaccinated, they have still been infected. We have been closely monitoring the situation in lndia and across the world, and it is estimated that the caseload will shoot up in the immediate future if the situation is not controlled now,” Shah wrote an email, accessed by The Indian Express. Further addi...
England cricket coach Chris Silverwood must isolate, will miss 4th Ashes Test
Sports

England cricket coach Chris Silverwood must isolate, will miss 4th Ashes Test

England cricket coach Chris Silverwood will be absent for the fourth Ashes Test against Australia after a COVID-19 outbreak in the England team’s camp grew to seven confirmed cases. Silverwood needs to isolate following a positive test for the coronavirus among a family member of the touring party. There was no indication that Silverwood has the virus. He will have to isolate for 10 days _ along with his family _ in Melbourne, where the third test was played. The fourth Test starts in Sydney on Jan. 5. England lost the third Test, and with it the series, as Australia took an unassailable 3-0 lead in the five-match Ashes. England said the positive test for what it termed “one family member” happened on Wednesday. A further round of PCR tests will be administered on Thursday....
Novak Djokovic mystery deepens as stars arrive ahead of Australian Open | Tennis News – Times of India
Sports

Novak Djokovic mystery deepens as stars arrive ahead of Australian Open | Tennis News – Times of India

MELBOURNE: Novak Djokovic has not withdrawn from the ATP Cup despite claims he was almost sure to do so, Tennis Australia said on Tuesday, as other top players led by Naomi Osaka began arriving ahead of the Australian Open. There has been serious doubt as to whether men's world number one Djokovic would travel to Australia, having refused to confirm if he has been vaccinated against the coronavirus. An unnamed member of his team told Serbian newspaper Blic that they were "99 percent" sure that he would not play in the ATP Cup, which comes ahead of the Australian Open, adding to the intrigue over whether Djokovic would be at the first Grand Slam of the year. But Tennis Australia told AFP the Serbian had yet to pull out of the teams event, which is due to start on Saturday in Sydney with ...
Virus stopped Life
Sports

Virus stopped Life

Written by Nitin Sharma, Mihir Vasavda, Shahid Judge, Shashank Nair, Devendra Pandey, Shivani Naik, Gaurav Bhatt The Pandemic year locked them in quarantines but athletes around the world found resilience to call time on people-pleasing and discovered their moral voice to say NO. Gymnast Simone Biles, tennis star Naomi Osaka and Virat Kohli spoke their minds and defied convention. The year also saw athletes discover the full potential of social media – not just the big names but even the hitherto unknowns from small towns became stars in their own right. There were also some breakthrough performances that will stand the test of time. The hockey captain who reawakened a country’s nostalgic pride, a Mumbai-born New Zealand cricket returned to his roots to create history, a ba...
Palace manager Vieira tests positive, game at Spurs is on
Sports

Palace manager Vieira tests positive, game at Spurs is on

Crystal Palace had its request for Sunday’s game at Tottenham to be postponed because of a coronavirus outbreak at the club rejected by the Premier League. Palace hasn’t disclosed the number of players who tested positive. The league will have considered that Palace had enough players to fulfil the fixture in north London. But Palace will be without manager Patrick Vieira who has started self-isolating for at least a week after the club said Sunday that he tested positive. We can confirm that Crystal Palace manager Patrick Vieira is self-isolating after returning a positive test for Covid-19, and will be absent from the touchline for today’s match against Spurs. Assistant manager Osian Roberts will deputise for Vieira for today’s match.#CPFC pic.twitter.com/nBNmkLlxMG — Crystal Palace ...
Denis Shapovalov tests positive for COVID-19 in Sydney | Tennis News – Times of India
Sports

Denis Shapovalov tests positive for COVID-19 in Sydney | Tennis News – Times of India

Denis Shapovalov, who is part of Canada's team for the 2022 ATP Cup, has tested positive for COVID-19 in Sydney, the 22-year-old said on Saturday. Shapovalov played last week at the World Tennis Championship exhibition event in Abu Dhabi, where he beat 20-times major winner Rafael Nadal in the third-place playoff match. Nadal, Olympic champion Belinda Bencic and Tunisian Ons Jabeur all tested positive for the virus after playing the tournament. Shapovalov said he is experiencing minor symptoms. "Hi everyone, just wanted to update you that upon my arrival in Sydney, I tested positive for COVID," Shapovalov tweeted. https://t.co/rcFU02bY9f— Denis Shapovalov (@denis_shapo) 1640461426000"I am following all protocols including isolation and letting the people who I've been in contact with kn...