Friday, February 23TRUSTED FEARLESS INTERNATIONAL & NATIONAL NEWS PORTAL

Australian players have to get used to neck protectors: Josh Inglis | Cricket News – Times of India


NEW DELHI: Australian wicketkeeper-batter Josh Inglis has expressed his readiness to embrace the use of a neck protector on his helmet starting next month, even though he hadn’t utilised this equipment in the past.
Cricket Australia (CA) recently declared that, effective from October, all their players will be mandated to don neck protectors on their helmets when confronting fast or medium-paced bowling.

Inglis acknowledged that he would need to adapt to a piece of gear he had previously not favored.

“If they’re mandatory, I’m just going to have to get used to it and start training with it and obviously playing with it from day one,” he told a press conference on the eve of Australia’s one-day international against South Africa in Pretoria on Friday.
Despite CA having recommended the use of neck protectors since the tragic passing of Phillip Hughes in 2014, several prominent batters, such as David Warner and Steve Smith, had chosen not to incorporate them into their gear.
However, starting from October 1, CA has made it compulsory for all players to wear neck protectors when participating in domestic matches at home or representing Australia in international cricket abroad. Failure to comply with this requirement may result in sanctions.
“I haven’t worn one previously, just purely because of the fact when they first came out, and people started wearing them. I didn’t like the way it sort of like rested on my neck. It felt in my stance that it sort of took my focus away,” said Inglis.

4

CA’s Head of Cricket Operations & Scheduling Peter Roach said in a statement earlier that protecting the head and neck was extremely important.
“The neck protector product has come a long way in recent years and the decision to make them mandatory comes off the back of a lot of advice and consultation with a wide range of experts and stakeholders,” Roach said.
The mandate comes a week after Australia all-rounder Cameron Green was struck by a Kagiso Rabada bouncer on the neck guard fixed to his helmet and was substituted out of the first ODI against South Africa with concussion.
Green has missed the subsequent two ODIs and captain Mitchell Marsh said he was not sure whether he would be available for selection for Friday’s fourth game of the five-match series.
(With Reuters inputs)





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *