Taiwanese tech giant Asus was scheduled to launch its Zenfone 8 series in India on May 12. However, now the company has announced that it is postponing the launch due to the recent surge in Covid-19 cases in the country.
The company has not given a new launch date at the moment but has postponed it “until the current situation improves.”
“While we have been very excited to launch our new smartphone at same time as global, Asus India’s top priority in these challenging times is the safety of our customers, partners, employees and all other stakeholders in the fight against the virus. Hence we have consciously decided to defer the launch until the current scenario improves. On behalf of the entire ASUS India family, we urge you to stay indoors, practice social distancing and help each other combat this crisis until we emerge stronger and in a safer environment.” said Dinesh Sharma, business head, commercial PC and smartphone, system business group, Asus in India.
To recall, the company had started teasing about the Asus 8 series with a punch-hole camera and 120Hz refresh rate last month.
BBK-owned consumer technology company Realme also was scheduled to hold a launch event on May 4, which as per company’s India CEO Madhav Sheth was supposed to be the biggest event for the year yet.
Later, however, the company decided to put a pin on it given the state of the country.
“After careful consideration, realme has decided to postpone the upcoming smartphone and AIoT products’ launch along with anniversary celebrations. In these difficult times, let’s focus on contributing as much as possible. Stay home, Stay strong! We will be back soon,” said Sheth in a tweet.