Chennai: The DMK led alliance of Tamil Nadu has won the 2021 assembly election by sweeping a total of 156 constituencies. The party DMK alone has won in 124 constituencies becoming the majority in the state assembly. The victory comes for the first time since their last stint between 2007 & 2011.
The first state victory after the death of its leader M.Karunanidhi in 2018.
Here are the reasons why and how the Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam alliance has won this time in the state.
- With AIADMK leader and former chief minister of Tamil Nadu Jayalalithaa demise in 2016 is the party lost its charismatic leader. Though leaders like Edappadi Karuppa Palaniswami and O.Panneerselvam organized and led the party ahead, there was anti-incumbency even among the party members, which affected a solid vote bank for AIADMK.
- O.Panneerselvam and Edappadi Palanisamy duo were sworn in as the chief ministers later approved many of the BJP led Centres’ policies i.e. UDAY, National Food Security Act, Land acquisition act, NEET, which Jayalalithaa rejected during her tenure prioritizing the welfare of the state.
- The party’s indecisiveness against CAA was extremely criticized among the regional parties stamping them as the puppet of the BJP government in the Centre.
- The Government’s inaction against accused in the Pollachi Sexual Harassment case affected women vote bank tremendously which once played a crucial role in Jayalalithaa gaining the power for successive terms.
- The DMK led alliance comprising the Congress party, MDMK, Marxist Communist, Communist party of India, Viduthalai chiruthaigal Katchi, and others were formed even before the Elections were announced when the BJP’s policy become a threat to the state’s federalism. They had a total of 12 parties in their alliance which was a deciding factor.
- The ADMK alliance with BJP was purely for the election. The party had only 9 parties in their alliance, unlike DMK.
- ADMK’s alliance with BJP was a huge disappointment to the people as there was a wide dissent among the people after Demonetization, including the economically weaker section as a subcategory of social justice.
- Thoothukudi Sterlite violence which killed 13 people was another issue why the anti-incumbency became evident among the people.
- All these helped DMK outline a stronger campaign agenda against the ADMK led ally.
- The Political strategy of IPAC led by Prashant Kishore also played a part in Stalin gaining power.