Mark Zuckerberg dropped out of Harvard in the second year to complete his project and was often referred to as a programming prodigy who launched Facebook in 2004.
Founder and CEO of US online social media and social networking service Facebook Mark Zuckerberg. PIC/AFP.
New Delhi, May 14: Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg has become an icon for budding entrepreneurs who intend to go down the path of the entrepreneurial journey.
The young billionaire started up in 2003 with the original idea of ‘FaceMash’. It was Facebook’s initial version, which he has envisioned with his fellow dorm mates, Eduardo Saverin, Dustin Moskovitz, Chris Hughes, and Andrew McCollum during his undergraduate days at Harvard.
On his birthday on May 14, we bring you some interesting facts about the young leader who has taken the world by storm.
- Zuckerberg dropped out of Harvard in his sophomore year in order to complete his project. He was often referred to as a programming prodigy who launched Facebook from his Harvard dormitory room in 2004.
- Did you know that Zuckerberg became the youngest billionaire in the world in 2008, according to Forbes at the age of 23 years? Yes. In 2019, he is the only person under 50 in the Forbes 10 list of richest people and the only one under 40 in the Top 20 Billionaires list. His net worth is estimated to be nearly $54 billion as of March 2020
- The prolific programmer dropped out of Harvard during the sophomore year to complete his project. On May 25, 2017, at Harvard’s 366th commencement Day, the young leader had received an honorary from Harvard in which he also gave a speech.
- As a philanthropist both Mark Zuckerberg and wife Priscilla Chan have been involved in several social works. In the wake of Covid-19 outbreak that has left the global economy battered the couple donated $800,000 to their favorite restaurants.
- Last month, Chan-Zuckerberg Initiative, the philanthropic and investing arm of Zuckerberg and his wife Priscilla Chan also funded $13.6 million project on coronavirus study.
- On birth of their daughter Maxima, the couple gave away 99 per cent of their company’s shares worth $45 billion to make the world a “better place” for children.
- The Facebook founder loves to wear signature gray T-shirt because it takes him less time on wardrobe selections leaving him time to focus on work and company.
- Are you aware that the billionaire is color blind? According to media reports the young leader suffers from red/green colour blindness a major reason for Facebook to be blue. Apparently he can see the blue colour the best.
- In 2011 the social media magnate declared that he will only eat meat that he has killed himself and avoid eating any meat from an animal that he has not personally rendered.
- He can also speak Chinese, a language that he learned in his spare time.
One of his powerful quotes says it takes courage to choose hope over fear. Here are some of his inspiring quotes as well.
Move fast and break things. Unless you are breaking stuff you are not moving fast enough.
My goal was never to just create a company. It was to build something that actually makes a really big change in the world.
Helping a billion people connect is amazing, humbling and by far the thing I am most proud of in my life.
People think innovation is just having a good idea but a lot of it is just moving quickly and trying a lot of things.
Founding a company is hard. Most of it isn’t smooth. You’ll have to make very hard decisions. You have to fire a few people. Therefore, if you don’t believe in your mission, giving up is easy. The majority of founders give up. But the best founders don’t give up.