Saturday, October 24TRUSTED FEARLESS INTERNATIONAL & NATIONAL NEWS PORTAL

Terrorist slain in Pulwama encounter was longest-surviving Lashkar commander: DGP | India News – Times of India


SRINAGAR: Top Lashkar-e-Taiba terrorist Aijaz Ahmed Reshi, who was killed along with an aide in an anti-terror operation in Pulwama’s Samboora area late Sunday, was one of the longest surviving commanders of the outfit, J&K DGP Dilbagh Singh said on Monday. Lashkar’s main recruiter, Reshi was involved in numerous attacks on security forces, inflicting heavy casualties.
Reshi initially worked as an overground worker and had joined militancy even before Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani, the poster boy of new-age militancy in J&K who was killed in an encounter in July 2016, DGP Singh told reporters at district police lines in Awantipora, Pulwama.
Reshi had recruited ultras like Towseef Khanday, Rafiq Dar and Adil Ahmed, all of whom rose to top ranks before being slain by security forces in different anti-terror operations. “Reshi had also recruited and trained Sajad Ahmed Sofi, who was killed alongside him in Sunday’s encounter,” the DGP said.
“Reshi took part in an attack at EDI Pampore killing eight CRPF men. He had transported the Lashkar men to the spot as well,” DGP Singh said. “He had fired at an Army party, killing three soldiers at Kadlabal, Pampore,” he added.
The encounter at Samboora started Sunday afternoon but due to darkness, a search operation couldn’t take place even after the gunfight came to a close with the killing of two terrorists. A soldier was also injured in the fire exchange. When a search was started on Monday morning, bodies of the slain ultras were recovered along with two AK-47 rifles, two magazines, some rounds and other incriminating material, DGP Singh said.
“Reshi’s killing is a big success for the security forces and there will be a significant dip in the local terrorist recruitment in the areas he was operating,” the DGP said, adding that the militancy graph in J&K is now lower as compared to previous years. “In the past 15 days, three youth were brought back. And this year so far, 24 youth who had left homes and joined militancy were brought back with the active cooperation of their parents,” he said.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *